— UPDATED BASED ON CHANGES EFFECTED ON 2 APRIL 2018–
Here is a breakdown of the 50 companies which constitute the Nifty 50. Over the last decade, while sectoral weight-age has remained largely similar, the constituent companies have constantly changed.
NSE has made the following changes in the composition of Nifty 50 index effective from April 2, 2018.
Notable Facts: Updated on 2 April 2018
- Financial Services and Information Technology contribute 47.87% to the overall weight-age.
There are 5 Pharmaceutical companies. India is amongst the biggest pharmaceutical exporters in the world.
- Of all things, cigarettes still have a dominant weight-age in the pie.
- No modern-day e-commerce businesses find a place in the Nifty. Compare this with the U.S. where Facebook, Amazon, e-Bay and Yahoo are all part of the NASDAQ 100.
- The breakup hardly showcases India as a developing economy. Construction and cement put together contribute 5.54%. Energy and power is at 14.96%
- 7 out of the 10 financial services companies are private sector banks. Consider the fact that in India, there are 24 listed public sector banks and only 16 listed private sector banks. This is significantly different from how things were a decade back.
Nifty 50 Companies List
|Dr Reddy’s Lab||0.6|
|Information Technology||HCL Technologies||1.39|
|Mahindra & Mahindra||1.93|
|Financial Services||Axis Bank||2.1|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||3.82|
|State Bank of India||2.16|
|Indiabulls Housing Finance||1|
|Consumer Goods||Asian Paints||1.28|
|Construction||Larsen & Toubro||4.09|
|Media & Entertainment||Zee Entertainment||0.76|
|Shipping||Adani Ports and Special Economic Zone Ltd.||0.68|
If you liked this article, then please share to the social networking site. You can also find us on